University of Western Kordofan
Western Kordofan is situated in central Sudan, Africa between Darfur in the west and the White Nile River in the east. It is considered a state of the Republic of Sudan and has a population of about eight-hundred thousand, some inhabitants of which are considered nomads. The region is sometimes referred to as Gharb Kurduf?n and the capital of the state is Al Fula. Both the state and the Republic are responsible for education and scientific research. And here is where you find the University of Western Kordofan, also known as Jameat Gareb Kordofan. Its Arabic name is .
University of Western Kordofan, an institute of higher education founded by constitutional decree in 1997, began official courses on October 17, 1998, and offers instruction in both Arabic and English. It is composed of eight different faculties including Economics and Community Development, Education, Institute for Mural Studies and Community Development, Islamic Studies and Arabic, Medicine and Health Sciences, Natural Resources and Environmental Studies, Petroleum and Underground Water, as well as Shari'a Law. Not all faculties and programs are on the same campus, as some are setup in different cities throughout Kordofan including Khartoum, Babanusa, Balnhod, Abozbd and Al Fula.
Some of the departments and programs offered at the University of Western Kordofan are:
- Geography Department
- Faculty of Agriculture
- University of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Husbandry
- Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine
- Masters Program in Political Anthropology
- Natural Resources and Environmental Studies
- Institute of Rehabilitation and Training of Imams and Preachers
- Center for Peace Studies
- Faculty of Education
- Institute of Further Studies and Community Development
- Graduate Studies
Admission requirements include the Sudan School Certificate, but the university does allow mature students under special circumstances. The university is a member in good standing of the Association of African Universities (AAU). It is also listed as a qualified medical school in Sudan. An example of some of the Technical Diplomas that students can receive are Computer Science and Technology, Business Administration, Accounting, Community Development, English, Technical Advocacy and Religious Guidance, Shari'a and Law, Adult Education, and Technical Education and Kindergarten. Typically these diploma programs run for three years. PhDs and Masters degrees are also offered in various studies.
Although resources tend to be limited at all Sudanese universities, the University of Western Kordofan does have a computer lab and a number of libraries. It participates in local, social events and recently, in July 2010, hosted the University of Western Kordofan Carnival as a display to support national unity. The university also grows important fruit orchards at the Faculty of Agriculture from which research is conducted.
Finally, some of the people that may be known throughout Sudan that have been associated with the University in some way.
- Prince Abdul-Qader Menem Mansour, Chairman of University Council
- Dr. Siddig Norain from the Geography Department arrested in August 2007 and charged with cooperating with rebels
- SH Suliman from the Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine along with two other professors from the University of Khartoum who published a report in the Research Journal of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, 3: 24-28, 2008.
- Dr. Ibrahim Musa Tibin was the Vice Chancellor from August 2006 until February 2009
- Saleem Elzein El Hassan, a Master of Architecture and PhD in Urban Planning wrote the 2003 Master Plan for the University of Western Kordofan.
- John Oryem Onguti Loguca, a Catholic priest and Chief Bureau Officer for Sudan by Newsudanvision-dot-com is completing his MA in Political Anthropology
The official contact information for the University of Western Kordufan is:
- P. O. Box 2081, Khartoum, Sudan
- P. O. Box 12942, Khartoum, Sudan
- P. O. Box 20, En Nahud, Sudan
- P. O. Box 20, West Kordofan, Sudan
- +249 837 93469
- +249 837 65986
Head of Institution
Email: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org